Introduction to Christianity is the first book of Cardinal Ratzinger/Pope Benedict XVI that I have attempted to read. I started out writting a synopsis of my daily readings in order to implant them in my mind. So, here they are...

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Chapter One: Belief in the World Today

Section One: Doubt and Belief  
Section Two: The Origin of Belief

Pages 39 - 52

I believe:  A personal I must through an act of will turn from what can merely be touched or seen and seek that which cannot be seen, God.  And since my tendency as a human is to seek what can be touched or seen, I must make this decision daily to turn to the unseen.  To do this is a leap, an act of faith, it requires belief that there is some other to turn toward, but in so doing, my world expands. I enter into an existence that deepens and broadens beyond sight or touch, indeed I enter into reality and leave the illusion of the material behind. This turning from the material to the invisible is conversion and I must be converted daily because my propensity is toward that which I can touch and see.

Why must I then be converted?  Why does conversion make me more human, when to become so requires an act of faith?  Because I can do so.  Because this seeking of what is beyond with eyes of faith is an essential human act and to do less is to be less than human.


No comments:

Post a Comment